Tomoko Kawase Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does the indie music sound ?

+3
Sneakglove
Synchronicity
kilix
7 posters

Go down

How does the indie music sound ? Empty How does the indie music sound ?

Post by kilix Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Yeah I wanted to ask here what are the "sound characteristics" of the indie music and how does it sound like ?

Indeed, I heard many times that buriguri at their debut (Bye Bye Mr.Mug, goodbye and good luck, etc ...) have some of their songs sounding like indie music and I heard also that this or that song, from another band, sounds "indie" ... but when I asked to this person how he recognizes that, he was unable to clearly answer me !! Neutral

So how do you recognize, only in terms of the sound, that such music is indie or not ? Wink

kilix

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

How does the indie music sound ? Empty Re: How does the indie music sound ?

Post by Synchronicity Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Indie to me...just sorta has a feel. Like when you hear it you can't eaisily say what type of music it is. You can say it had a "rock feel" but isn't rock, and y'know. To me artists like OLIVIA are kinda indies, well excluding her recent stuff, and her first few singles. So i don't think there's specifically a sound to indies music. but a lot of times they have like clean guitar, and drums, and then add things like keyboards, or like synth stuff on top of it. Like The Delgados are indie rock.
Synchronicity
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneakglove Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 am

Being somebody who has listened to Indie music since 1994, I still find it hard to describe exactly what Inide music is, as it now covers quite a wide range of sub genres. To me Indie music is rock music with melodies, although it was originally just a way to describe bands who adopted a do-it-yourself approach to recording and publishing there music, which was described as Independent music and was shortened to 'Indie'. Maybe you could say a band that didn't care about chart success and just cared about making music they enjoyed themselves, therefore going against the mainstream. This is an Indie band.

You cannot really describe TBG as a 'Indie band', because for a start they are signed to a major record label, but what you can say is that they incorporate the Indie sound into their soungs, mainly through the influences of Ryo and Shunsaku. If you visit this site - http://paginas.terra.com.br/lazer/tbg/sweetiemiyuarquivos/membros.htm which is in Spanish, you can clearly see them both mentioning various UK Indie bands as their fave albums, i.e. The Stone Roses, Ride, and The Jesus and Mary Chain (3 of my fave bands also!)

It is not just early TBG songs that sound Indie to me, but all of their songs do, 1997-2008. Although the very early songs do sound more Inide-ish, mainly because they are sang entirely in English. The biggest Indie sounding song to me is 'Mister Moon' followed by 'Goodbye and Good luck', then 'Bye Bye Mr.Mug'. But every song after these carries hints ot the Indie sound, although the band do mix other genres in there aswell.
Sneakglove
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713

https://forevertommy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tomoko_chan Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm

This website is not in spanish but in portuguese!! XD Anyway, I understand some things because is someway similar to spanish.

And... Shun's favourite artist was hide?? OMG!! I was watching recently some vids of his funeral and... I'm not a fan of hide but I was close to tears T^T Must be really hard to see that your favourite artist is died TT
tomoko_chan
tomoko_chan

Female Number of posts : 741

http://www.lollipopgirl.es.tl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneakglove Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Lol, apologies for the faux pas.
Sneakglove
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713

https://forevertommy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kilix Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Ok thanks for your comments everyone ! Wink

As I thought there is not really a special touch in the Indie sound, and it seems that the term of "Indie" is a misuse of language that some people do when they want to talk of a kind of music hard to describe or that they don't really know the genre of it !

kilix

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoLawrence Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:06 pm

It's hard to define to me, if a band(could be one person also) writes songs, and compose lyrics, produce by their own, some of them would make the album sleeve by themself too. to me they'd reckon a indie band, and the premise is they isn't sign to the major cd label.
EchoLawrence
EchoLawrence

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tkchuong Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Ok thanks for your comments everyone ! Wink

tkchuong

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by pcnt7kt Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:42 pm

it very good !
Thanks for all !

Coupon Codes
calderas

pcnt7kt

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down