Tomoko Kawase Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tommy february6 - Runaway + New Album

+9
shizuenjune2
ghitgo
ErickAutumn
denadel
winksniper
Papermoon
I'mAPlayerInTVGames
Kokoro
ThomasW
13 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Tommy february6 - Runaway + New Album - Page 4 Empty Re: Tommy february6 - Runaway + New Album

Post by ErickAutumn Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Okay wow, the people worried that the album doesn't have Tommy's 80's signature sounds have NOTHING to worry about...
It's definitely there! Very Happy
ErickAutumn
ErickAutumn

Male Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-08-03

https://ericairline.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Tommy february6 - Runaway + New Album - Page 4 Empty Re: Tommy february6 - Runaway + New Album

Post by UnluckyLoveMood Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Did you find a download link?!

UnluckyLoveMood

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ErickAutumn Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:59 am

Nope. Sad
But some of the songs were posted on Tumblr...
ErickAutumn
ErickAutumn

Back to top Go down

Post by UnluckyLoveMood Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 am

Oh, I was hoping you found a link. Sad

FAIRY DUST sound AMAZING, so that's some consolation at least. Still, this album's been out for like 2-3 days now. How are there STILL no links?

UnluckyLoveMood

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasW Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:14 am

It's weird we haven't got a single link yet :/
I'm searching my ass off here.
ThomasW
ThomasW

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by winksniper Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 am

I was lucky enough to have a friend purchase me the physical copy of the album with expedited shipping, so if there is still no link in the next few days, I will gladly rip the songs and link it for you guys.
winksniper
winksniper

Female Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasW Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:47 am

Thank you Smile
ThomasW
ThomasW

Back to top Go down

Post by maakun Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 am

It's been a long battle but we finally have a link ! 
Enjoy ~ Surprised

TOMMY CANDY SHOP SUGAR ME
maakun
maakun

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by UnluckyLoveMood Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 am

Praise your light!

UnluckyLoveMood

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasW Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Yaaay Very Happy

Edit: ~listening~
Man, this album is SO GOOD. 
Even the dubstep break for SPACEY COWGIRL is so amazing.
I've come to a point where Tommy can perform brazilian funk and I will love it, cuz everything Tommy touches turns into a magic Candy Land.
PINK ARMY has to be one of my favorite Tommy songs ever.
ThomasW
ThomasW

Back to top Go down

Post by ghitgo Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks! :heart:Still have to buy the physical copy.
ghitgo
ghitgo

Male Number of posts : 1624
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://tommypicarchive.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shizuenjune2 Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 am

waiting for my copy to arrive EmbarassedbounceI love youI love youI love you
shizuenjune2
shizuenjune2

Female Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by I'mAPlayerInTVGames Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm waiting too, probably won't arrive until the end of the month I have to be strong!

Glad to hear people are liking what they hear Smile
I'mAPlayerInTVGames
I'mAPlayerInTVGames

Male Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokoro Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:04 pm

I listened to the full album. I should say that I like every song. My favorite are SPACEY COWGIRL and SUMMER BUBBLES. And least favorite is FAIRY DUST. It really is a great album. But for me it was hard to get new february6 style
Kokoro
Kokoro

Female Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://tommy-army.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shizuenjune2 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:21 am

damn it i can't change my computer's dvd region what a let down Sad
shizuenjune2
shizuenjune2

Female Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchronicity Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:24 am

I know I haven't posted in a really longtime, but

just thoughts on the new February album:

It's very good in such a non-February way. It's like 80's, but it's like how modern top 40 these days are clearly inspired by 80's music but are trying really hard to pretend they're not by adding dubstep breakdowns.

It's a testament to Tommy and Shunsaku's music writing abilities. I could easily hear Katy Perry or Lady Gaga or someone in that vein sining "Fairy Dust," "Runaway," "Pink Army," or "Angel Fade," etc.

That being said "Spacey Cowgirl," may be one of the stupides songs I've ever heard. Fairy Dust and Runaway are the clear standouts. Fun and pretty but not too obnoxious. I'm glad February got a modern pump up she needed it.
Synchronicity
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasW Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:32 pm

I feel exactly the same (lol trying not to sing ANGEL FADE here...)
But I also feel I couldn't picture anyone singing it except Tommy, even with a modern sound it's still so Tommy!
I don't feel the album is Tommy trying to fit the modern pop sound, it's the modern sound adapting to the Tommy world.
ThomasW
ThomasW

Back to top Go down

Post by I'mAPlayerInTVGames Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Synchronicity wrote:I could easily hear Katy Perry or Lady Gaga or someone in that vein sining "Fairy Dust," "Runaway," "Pink Army," or "Angel Fade," etc.
*vomit pig
I'mAPlayerInTVGames
I'mAPlayerInTVGames

Back to top Go down

Post by ErickAutumn Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:30 am

Synchronicity wrote:That being said "Spacey Cowgirl," may be one of the stupidest songs I've ever heard.

Tommy february6 - Runaway + New Album - Page 4 Tumblr_m8vl16gxNH1qc4ee7o1_400
ErickAutumn
ErickAutumn

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasW Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:36 pm

^ HAHAHAHAHAHA
ThomasW
ThomasW

Back to top Go down

Post by winksniper Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:11 am

I disagree with like, everything Synchronicity. :/
winksniper
winksniper

Female Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by I'mAPlayerInTVGames Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Got my copy of the album, on to my second playthrough now and liked it instantly a lot more than I thought I would given the previews and reviews.

The eurotrance-y sound is bit overstated maybe. One thing I've always liked about Tommy, regardless of persona or instrumentation used, is her melodies. They're very strong, appealing and you can tell a Tommy melody straight away. I hear that instantly in the first track 'Fairy Dust', which like a lot of the other songs from the first half of the album sound to me more like heavenly6 songs produced as dance-pop. That way it makes sense to me that they would be harder and dancier than most of the earlier february6 material. Another example is My Vacation which sounds like LCDD.

Sugar Me could easily be a successor to Pray or Ready if produced with guitars instead of synths. The verses on Sugar Me definately DO sound like current US chart pop, but the chorus is pure Tommy. Similarly the endless drum fills and drops on Runaway are an overused cliche that found their way to the current US teen pop market, and again I can do without them on a Tommy record. Probably no coincidence that these two were the songs chosen to promote the album and the CD is front-loaded with this type of stuff. Gotta pay the bills!

Random thought - Angel Fade reminds me of a remix of RuPaul's Responsitrannity. :p

Any way, I really think the 80s synthpop origins of february6 have been stretched as far as they can be, so this is the logical next step. I don't listen much to modern US kids chart music, so if this sounds like Katy Perry etc fair enough but I hear also a late 90s chart pop and trance influence (which I guess has taken this long to filter through to the mainstream US market by way of 15 years of cheesy eurodance). I even hear brief touches of things like S Club 7 and Steps in the production of 'Ai No Ai No Hoshi' for example.

The best of the back end of the album is 'Summer Bubbles' - very catchy with an interesting offbeat melody that makes it fit closer to things like 'Is This Feeling Love?'

The first half of the album could easily be produced as heavenly. I'd like to know their working process actually - If they go into the studio to write for a specific project (and thus persona) or they write music/lyrics and ponder over if something would sound better as february or heavenly. Regardless of production style, the Tommy vocal melodies are still there full force all the way through the album. My biggest gripe might only be that I prefer when she sings mainly in Japanese, but that's just me.

Favourites:
- Fairy Dust (Strong opener and great melody and lyrics)
- Summer Bubbles (Sweet, pretty melody and a great offbeat february album track like Futari No Seaside etc)
- Space Cowgirl (more traditional february6 and logical next step of the beefier february dance tracks)
- Ai No Ai No Hoshi (If it's such a cheesy and lame version of a great TBG track, why can't I stop listening to it?! Embarassed  )

Least fav's:
- Runaway (Turn off MTV America Tommy, it's bad for your health!)
- Sugar Me (Let down by the verses only, the chorus is classic Tommy)
- Pink Army (I actually like this one, but the production doesn't fully work for me, would be better as a heavenly track, I hear 'I'm Gonna Scream' etc)
- Be My Valentine (Again nice enough, it's not a bad track but very "by numbers" and sticks out like a sore thumb tacked on the end of album. Really it's just a variant of the superior Motown-synth of Magic In Your Eyes)

See, so even the worst tracks have something that I like about them.

/Long ramble over Smile

Last edited by I'mAPlayerInTVGames on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
I'mAPlayerInTVGames
I'mAPlayerInTVGames

Back to top Go down

Post by I'mAPlayerInTVGames Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Bollocks, clicked quote instead of edit. Embarassed
I'mAPlayerInTVGames
I'mAPlayerInTVGames

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchronicity Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:24 pm

I'mAPlayerInTVGames wrote:
Synchronicity wrote:I could easily hear Katy Perry or Lady Gaga or someone in that vein sining "Fairy Dust," "Runaway," "Pink Army," or "Angel Fade," etc.
*vomit pig

Let's not get pretentious. Neutral  Just because Tommy is japanese does not mean she's making music with anymore complexity or substance than American pop-stars.
Synchronicity
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by I'mAPlayerInTVGames Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Synchronicity wrote:Let's not get pretentious. Neutral  Just because Tommy is japanese does not mean she's making music with anymore complexity or substance than American pop-stars.
This isn't about pretention Synchronicity, it's just a simple matter of taste - geography doesn't come in to it. I don't like the music of the acts mentioned that's all, you could've compared the songs to Girls Generation or AKB48 and a cute piggy face would've still said "vomit". Sorry you misunderstood.
I'mAPlayerInTVGames
I'mAPlayerInTVGames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next