Tomoko Kawase Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I KILL MY HEART - Album reviews

+16
Plisskin
hidebow
shizuenjune2
jazzbeans
Dammyf6
Yupgiboy
ThomasW
sailorlum
tomoko_chan
bankiebank
Starryeyed
lonely_louie
ghitgo
Sneakglove
NayaBania6
Synchronicity
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I KILL MY HEART - Album reviews - Page 2 Empty Re: I KILL MY HEART - Album reviews

Post by Starryeyed Fri May 01, 2009 1:59 am

On the Tf6 and Th6 thing: I see February as being innocent on the outside, but darker on the inside (she's a hard drinking girl and a lot of her songs are about longing and possibly-unrequited love, although most of them are very upbeat musically). I see Heavenly as being darker on the outside, but brighter on the inside (a lot of her songs are about reciprocated love and/or having a take charge attitude...she embraces angst in a more positive way, too, imo). February relishes the superficially light (cute toys and outfits, new wave upbeat tunes, bright colors). Heavenly relishes the superficially dark (gothic fashion, spooky decor, heavy guitars, dark colors, in-your-face music.) February and Heavenly are two sides of the same person.

Interesting...

I like the way you mentioned the styles of February and Heavenly, really good. I think the persona thing was what kept me interested in Tommy's affair of February and Heavenly. To me, February is not a bad person, because the darker side of February is Heavenly in February's dreams. February is innocent, like any teenager who wants to rebel against situations in life. Of the two, I believe Heavenly is a deeper character with more sufficiency, wiser, more mature, I suppose more worldly. I think there is more to February/Heavenly though than what is seen on the surface, Tommy's own dedication to bringing many items out of her persona's dream world for people to buy are evident of this, for me anyway. Maybe Tommy will bring or try and evolve a new character from this dream world. Time will tell. I do favour February over Heavenly as a person because February is learning. Like a two sided coin or the link between JPOP & JROCK, Heavenly has become more positive, whom I may favour in the future. Though, I still don't like this album, her previous ones yes. But thank you for your interesting analysis of her persona's and the album lyrics.

-Starryeyed-
Starryeyed
Starryeyed

Male Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

I KILL MY HEART - Album reviews - Page 2 Empty Re: I KILL MY HEART - Album reviews

Post by Yupgiboy Fri May 01, 2009 3:52 am

I like the way you mentioned the styles of February and Heavenly,
really good. I think the persona thing was what kept me interested in
Tommy's affair of February and Heavenly. To me, February is not a bad
person, because the darker side of February is Heavenly in February's
dreams. February is innocent, like any teenager who wants to rebel
against situations in life. Of the two, I believe Heavenly is a deeper
character with more sufficiency, wiser, more mature, I suppose more
worldly. I think there is more to February/Heavenly though than what is
seen on the surface, Tommy's own dedication to bringing many items out
of her persona's dream world for people to buy are evident of this, for
me anyway. Maybe Tommy will bring or try and evolve a new character
from this dream world. Time will tell. I do favour February over
Heavenly as a person because February is learning. Like a two sided
coin or the link between JPOP & JROCK, Heavenly has become more
positive, whom I may favour in the future. Though, I still don't like
this album, her previous ones yes. But thank you for your interesting
analysis of her persona's and the album lyrics.

I completely concur. I don't really dig this one nearly as much as the previous albums. I keep pretending "I Kill My Heart" is a Brilliant Green album so it goes down better with me.
Yupgiboy
Yupgiboy

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneakglove Fri May 01, 2009 5:48 am

God I really hope my CD arrives today!!!!! After reading what everybody says aboout it I am really intrigued. Although at the moment I have not read any of the individual reviews because I want to be open minded when I first listen.

I agree that the persona's are two sides of the same person. Like in LCBG, simply put, one side wants to go out and enjoy Halloween but the other wants to stay in a finish the housework and believes she has only 'shabby' clothes to wear.
Sneakglove
Sneakglove
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1713
Registration date : 2008-07-02

https://forevertommy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sailorlum Fri May 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone! I love you I'm glad you all enjoyed my review! Like a Star @ heaven

I think the songs were made so that they could be taken as straight-up songs about love or friendship or whatever...I'm not sure if I would have made the connection with all of them if it hadn't been for some of the things Tommy has said about the album (and seeing the Th6 versions of the PVs). I like that they can be taken on multiple levels (sometimes I just like to think of them as non-themed songs and sometimes I like to think about the theme). I have my cake and eat it too, that way. Wink

Feb6 was how I discovered Tommy, so she has a special place in my heart. This album gives me hope that we'll see more Feb6 music, someday. cat
sailorlum
sailorlum

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dammyf6 Fri May 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Please don't hate me xD (I tried to put some humor in it, don't take it personal)

Dammyf6 wrote:Anyone realized that the album only lasts 38:22 o_o ?

Well, anyway. It's not as horrible as I expected it to be (that's good).

This album should be called "I KILL MY STYLE" xD

If this is her new self, I don't really like it. I mean, I probably will get used to it in a couple weeks, but only because she's my idol (like if it was a religion? xD).

→ Wait For Me There (5/10) -random, forgettable-
→ Leaving You (5/10) -just like the previous track D:-
→ Do You Know My Heart ? (4/10) -the chorus has nothing to do whit the rest of the song-
→ Sad End To A Fairy Tale (7/10) -liked this one n_n-
→ Shut up (1/10) -raaaaaandoooooom ♥, a totally dispensable track-
→ Flower Crown (8/10) -it's dark and a bit heavy, I can imagine this one as if it was part of "Tommy heavenly6" (the album)-
→ Surely (9/10) -did you create an alter ego apart from TBG to sound exactly like them? Oh right, this has happened before (with Ash like snow, in the opposite way xD), so it's not a big surprise. Anyway, this one's really good-
→ Gonna Change My Way Of Life (2/10) -whatevaaaah, even Ruby Shoes is better xD-
→ Playground (1/10) -I really didn't like this one-
→ Things I Can Do (5/10) -have you said "random"? xD-
→ You Should Live In The Sunny Light (3/10) -Tommy's vibrato is creepy. I mean, I always liked her because she was nothing like Ayumi and her apocalyptic vibrato (xDDD). Heavenly changed her music style, I ALREADY GOT IT, but that does not necessarily mean she has to change her pure & clean voice u_u-

Overall (50/110)
Dammyf6
Dammyf6

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-15

http://www.fotolog.com/Dammyf6

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzbeans Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 pm

I don't hate you Dammyf6 and no one else will. I see where you're coming from =)
I quite agree on some of the songs. For example:

"→ Do You Know My Heart ? (4/10) -the chorus has nothing to do whit the rest of the song-"

^ I mean I totally feel this. I like the song excluding its chorus, but due to the chorus I can't listen to it.

"→ Surely (9/10) -did you create an alter ego apart from TBG to sound exactly like them? Oh right, this has happened before (with Ash like snow, in the opposite way xD), so it's not a big surprise. Anyway, this one's really good-"

^ and this. Probably why this is my favourite track, I thought it was like the brilliant green!! =D

I think she did very well with the album regarding what style she was probably going for. But, I got bored of this genre a long time ago. I prefer upbeat/uplifting/happy songs and I just didn't feel that from this album. Her voice was also weird at times, I couldn't understand how but maybe it was the vibrato! I have to listen to it again.
jazzbeans
jazzbeans

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-30

http://myhome.cururu.jp/jazzbeans/blog

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed Fri May 01, 2009 8:07 pm

God I really hope my CD arrives today!!!!! After reading what everybody says aboout it I am really intrigued. Although at the moment I have not read any
of the individual reviews because I want to be open minded when I first listen.

Yes, I expect your review by 10 sharp tomorrow Smile Oh and page ghitgo and Hidebow too for there reviews Smile

I keep pretending "I Kill My Heart" is a Brilliant Green album

I think that could be a better way to view this album.

So..I was thinking, as we do Smile

I would love to see February appear live on stage, singing along with her flask in hand; and dancing with her cheerleaders in the background. Then... halfway through the song, February collapses on the floor from drinking too much. A mist slowly rises from the floor up to the ceiling incapsulating everything around. As this happens, the cheerleaders turn into pumpkins, and Heavenly emerges with a Witches hat, that part is negotiable; Smile Then, the mist starts to clear and Heavenly starts to sing. While Heavenly is singing, she jumps onto a broomstick and flies around and circulates the stage only to fall back down to earth in a puff of smoke. As Heavenly falls from the sky, the mist re-appears and February awakens to see, well pumpkins or.. Hmmm.. maybe her cheerleaders all fallen asleep. The song ends with February bewildered. Now THAT would be cool, or maybe not Smile

Oh my imagination is running wild today, well sort of Smile

Last edited by Starryeyed on Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starryeyed
Starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post by ghitgo Fri May 01, 2009 8:13 pm

I've come to realize that even of you idolize (or are obsessed) with someone, they could still put out something you don't like. It's just when people really, really bash Tommy saying stuff like heavenly6 needs to quit and her music now sucks, that when I get angry and disappointed. Everyone has different opinions. I've listened to Do You Know My Heart ? almost 20 times by now, and the out of place chorus has grown on me.

And as for my review, I really don't want to give a detailed explanation of what I think about each song. I am rather biased toward Tommy in general and cannot give anything she does a negative review(unless she starts rapping No ). With that said, yeah its not as upbeat as her previous 2 albums, and none of the songs on here will replace my top 2 songs (pray and unlimited sky), but I think its a really good album and I am very happy for Tommy that she got to try something she wanted to do.

And that does sound like an interesting video. I would love a true duet between feb6 and hev6.
ghitgo
ghitgo

Male Number of posts : 1624
Registration date : 2008-07-25

http://tommypicarchive.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I've come to realize that even of you idolize (or are obsessed) with someone, they could still put out something you don't like. It's just when people really, really bash Tommy saying stuff like heavenly6 needs to quit and her music now sucks, that when I get angry and disappointed. Everyone has different opinions. I've listened to Do You Know My Heart ? almost 20 times by now, and the out of place chorus has grown on me.

And as for my review, I really don't want to give a detailed explanation of what I think about each song. I am rather biased toward Tommy in general and cannot give anything she does a negative review(unless she starts rapping No ). With that said, yeah its not as upbeat as her previous 2 albums, and none of the songs on here will replace my top 2 songs (pray and unlimited sky), but I think its a really good album and I am very happy for Tommy that she got to try something she wanted to do.

That's fair enough Ghitgo, I'm glad you like it. Yeah and Pray rulez Smile
Starryeyed
Starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post by ghitgo Fri May 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks, and pray is probably the single greatest song ever written. EVER .
ghitgo
ghitgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchronicity Fri May 01, 2009 8:28 pm

omigosh everyone freakin' loves Pray! i find it hilarious! I mean like everyone says "this album is good but isn't great, it didn't have anything like Pray on there" and i dunno i find it funny since pray annoys me a little. I could never get into it as much as other songs.

Also Ghitgo i know exactly what you mean. there's a difference between "I didn't like the album: here's why" all nice n' such and then there's just being a fucking ass clown y'know?
Synchronicity
Synchronicity

Male Number of posts : 958

http://saintnichts.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ghitgo Fri May 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Agreed. All the people on Last.fm want to bash the album but not give ant reasons other than it sucks.
About pray: the video is what made it my favorite song. If unlimited sky had a better video, it would be on top. If there was a good PV for the acoustic version, I'd be sold. I sometime get rather emotional when listening to pray, because I think so highly of it, same with Unlimited Sky and GIMMIE ALL OF YOUR LOVE!! (or really all of her songs.)

And the same thing applies with the buri guri song
Forever to me ~終わりなき悲しみ~ , If I'm paying attention to the song and not doing things like reading or whatever, I will cry like a little bitch Razz . No other artist makes me cry over their music.
ghitgo
ghitgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Agreed. All the people on Last.fm want to bash the album but not give ant reasons other than it sucks.
About pray: the video is what made it my favorite song. If unlimited sky had a better video, it would be on top. If there was a good PV for the acoustic version, I'd be sold. I sometime get rather emotional when listening to pray, because I think so highly of it, same with Unlimited Sky and GIMMIE ALL OF YOUR LOVE!! (or really all of her songs.)

And the same thing applies with the buri guri song
Forever to me ~終わりなき悲しみ~ , If I'm paying attention to the song and not doing things like reading or whatever, I will cry like a little bitch Razz . No other artist makes me cry over their music.

You are passionate about Tommy's music, there is nothing wrong with that. To me, Pray is Heavenly's best song and I too liked the video very much.

Music as everyone knows is Subjective. I want to support Tommy in her music, but I want to promote the music which I like, which in the case of Heavenly for me is JROCK. I will be buying the new album, but at a cheaper price. It is like a double-edged sword. You want to promote there music, but you want to promote the music you like. If Tommy's sales for this album surpass her previous albums maybe she would make a similiar album. For me, I want to see her JROCK style, because I believe Tommy is best when she approaches her music this way. Maybe it is not the way to approach Tommy's music, but it has been my way of thinking now for a long time. Sometimes people want things to change, and sometimes they have to change to appreciate the other side of music. It is difficult to explain.

But enjoy the album Wink
Starryeyed
Starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzbeans Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Whatever Tommy does, I'll support her. =) I'm sure she knows she's branched into a new scene and is knowledgable of her old fans too, so I don't think people really need to worry. With some of the songs on this album, I didn't feel as if she completely left her old self despite the music not being "bubblegum pop-rock" (as I like to think of her music). =)

Aww, Ghitgo! Ha ha, cry. I get that with "Escape" by the brilliant green. I find it so sad and I really love it at the same time.

I think my favourite Heavenly6 song is "Lucky Me". =D Lovee ittttt!
Gives me a nice feeling inside. ^^ Memories for the time I first heard it too.
jazzbeans
jazzbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by tomoko_chan Fri May 01, 2009 9:07 pm

GYAAAH!! I can't stand it anymore! I'm gonna download it RIGHT NOW and then tell you something Wink
tomoko_chan
tomoko_chan

Female Number of posts : 741

http://www.lollipopgirl.es.tl

Back to top Go down

Post by ghitgo Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Kudos for lasting longer than me. I had to download the day it came out. But I'm holding it my hands right now, so it doesn't matter! I love you I love you I love you
ghitgo
ghitgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 pm

and you know, when you feel a cold chill down the back of your spine.. it is the music touching your heart. When I listen to February, Heavenly and Buri Guri I feel this all the time. Beautiful too it is.. Smile

Oh and 'Lucky Me' rulez too Smile

Last edited by Starryeyed on Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starryeyed
Starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post by tomoko_chan Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm listening it right now... sounds way better than I thought O.O

Anyone has the lyrics translation?

EDIT: My first impression of the songs I've listened so far it's good. Not the best album, but still good. Quite burigurish, but with a lot of drums sounding in the background XD

I'll listen to the rest tomorrow, I've realised I'm just too tired to analyze it properly TT (I've been walking all day long and, moreover, I'm not feeling well... TT)
tomoko_chan
tomoko_chan

Female Number of posts : 741

http://www.lollipopgirl.es.tl

Back to top Go down

Post by sailorlum Fri May 01, 2009 10:04 pm

I would love to see February appear live on stage, singing along with her flask in hand; and dancing with her cheerleaders in the background. Then... halfway through the song, February collapses on the floor from drinking too much. A mist slowly rises from the floor up to the ceiling incapsulating everything around. As this happens, the cheerleaders turn into pumpkins, and Heavenly emerges with a Witches hat, that part is negotiable; Smile Then, the mist starts to clear and Heavenly starts to sing. While Heavenly is singing, she jumps onto a broomstick and flies around and circulates the stage only to fall back down to earth in a puff of smoke. As Heavenly falls from the sky, the mist re-appears and February awakens to see, well pumpkins or.. Hmmm.. maybe her cheerleaders all fallen asleep. The song ends with February bewildered. Now THAT would be cool, or maybe not Smile

That sounds pretty awesome - I'd like to see something like that too!
sailorlum
sailorlum

Back to top Go down

Post by sailorlum Fri May 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Pray is one of my all time favorites of hers (I love the vid, too) I love you GIMMIE ALL OF YOUR LOVE!! is another of my all time favs.

So far Do You Know My Heart? and Playground have been getting the most play from the new album. Smile I look forward to the day when I can have the actual album. *covets* cat
sailorlum
sailorlum

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzbeans Fri May 01, 2009 10:18 pm

tomoko_chan wrote:I'm listening it right now... sounds way better than I thought O.O

Anyone has the lyrics translation?

EDIT: My first impression of the songs I've listened so far it's good. Not the best album, but still good. Quite burigurish, but with a lot of drums sounding in the background XD

I'll listen to the rest tomorrow, I've realised I'm just too tired to analyze it properly TT (I've been walking all day long and, moreover, I'm not feeling well... TT)
I've seen no translations, but for people like me - who don't have the CD (so can't see the lyrics) I found this site:
http://yaplog.jp/miaow_doux/archive/662 ^^ It has the lyrics. Sorry, I just happened to have it on the lyrics for Playground.
jazzbeans
jazzbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Starryeyed Fri May 01, 2009 10:23 pm

That sounds pretty awesome - I'd like to see something like that too!

Thanks Sailorlum;

Maybe February would look bewildered and look at her flask. Then look at the audience, the audience responds by clapping; and February bows and walks away. You know, I'm thinking about this wayyyyyy too much Smile
Starryeyed
Starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post by sailorlum Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 pm

I've seen no translations, but for people like me - who don't have the CD (so can't see the lyrics) I found this site:
http://yaplog.jp/miaow_doux/archive/662 ^^ It has the lyrics. Sorry, I just happened to have it on the lyrics for Playground.

Whoo hoo~! Lyrics! Thanks! I love you Saves me the trouble of searching for them later Smile
sailorlum
sailorlum

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzbeans Sat May 02, 2009 12:17 am

No problem. I love finding lyrics, you can find just about any.
This year I found a translation of the lyrics for "Lucky Me", I was chuffed. Although, they didn't translate "ひきとめたかったよ!" I think this is like: "I held back!" but I'm unsure.

Also, a few brilliant green translations, which I haven't seen anywhere else. But I'm sure everyone has seen them before anyways, I posted it on another part of the forum too. But thought I'd link it to share further. It's pretty good.
jazzbeans
jazzbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by shizuenjune2 Sat May 02, 2009 7:14 am

Ahhhhh,you guys make my will power weak!I have downloaded Tommy's album!
here's my review anyway^^
1.Wait for me there:Probably because of the video , I like this song.I really like the intro.I like how it is abit grunge and added with some cuteness.Quite a cool song.I favor the "Wait for me there , I'll give you my heart~~~~" part.This would have been one of my favourite songs if weren't for a tiny annoying bridge.
score(with video):9.5/10
without video:9/10

2.Leaving you:Like "Wait for me there", I like it partly because of the video."Leaving you" sound mellow comparing with"Wait for me there".I like the bridge the most.Great when I'm feeling low.
score(with video):10/10
without video:9.5/10

3.Do you know my heart:An ok song , nothing special , I need to listen more to decide.But for now, just an average song.
score:7/10

4.Sad end to a fairy tale:Another filler,yawn~.

5.Shut up:I like the vibe ,great energy.But the repeating chorus is abit annoying.
score:7.5/10

6.Flower crown:The intro sounds a bit like "Leaving you", but when Tommy sings,cool.It hasn't grow on my yet.Great song anyway.
score:8/10

7.Surely:Doesn't sound heavenlyish.Abit average.Very brilliant green.Great for a lazy afternoon.

8.Gonna change my way of life:One of my favourite songs in this album , Tommy sounds abit like Avril at one point.
score:8.5/10

9.Playground:Yes!I want this kind of song!Fits my teenage angst!I love the part where she sings"In my room , in my world , in my dream, here is my playground.In my eyes , in my brain , in my brain ,these are my playgrounds~".Except for"Wait for me there" and "Leaving you",this is my favourite song.
score:9/10

10.Things I can do:I think I will LOVE this song in the future, but not now.She sounds lovely in this song.
score:8/10

11.You should live in the sunny light:A mellow number.Fits greatly as an ending.Like "Things I can do" , I'm saving the love for future ha.Not my current cup of tea but ok.

Overall:I always need to relate songs with things in my life to them.Like Buriguri's "Sono Speed de", it was until a year later until I actually listen to them,then fell in love.I like the fact that Tommy didn't fill "I kill my heart" with anime-ish jpop songs.I mean , it would be catchy but you'd be boring listening to the same kind of songs and they would not be that personal to the singer.So , thumbs up for Tommy.
shizuenjune2
shizuenjune2

Female Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next